Monday 3 April 2017

Connections Across the Ocean

I am passionate about a few things in my life, but the most important has been learning anything to do with Japan. Last summer I had the opportunity to go to Japan for two and half weeks with Catholic Central, travelling to our sister school in Sendai called St. Ursula’s.  The first part of the trip we toured around Kyoto for a few days taking in many sights. Then we took a bullet train to Sendai to meet up with our host families. In Sendai, we would tour the city and spend time with our host families after classes.

I already knew who I was staying with In Japan because I meet her when she was an exchange student at CCH in Grade 11. The student I stayed with was Ginga Watabe. I first met Ginga when she was in my Science class first quarter In Grade 11. By talking each day and hanging out together at school, we both knew if I ever came to Japan I would stay with her. At the time, I did not know for sure that I would be able to stay with her but hoped it would happen. Ginga and I both enjoyed the times we had together in Canada.

At the end of the school year it was time for me to go to Japan. I was excited and also a bit nervous travelling such a long way. When I first saw Ginga again in Japan, I was so happy that I was able to spend a whole week together with Ginga and her family. They took me everywhere and treated me like royalty. They were so very kind and welcoming towards me. Even though I had never met her family, I felt as if I had known them for a long time. They would always thank me for the helping Ginga when she attended our school in Canada. I do not think I did anything special, but to them it meant so much. There were times when there were language barriers between us, but I would always try speaking the language to the best of my ability.

There were many fun things we did together during my visit. Fireworks was one of my favorite things with Ginga’s family. I think they celebrate any happy occasion with fireworks. We lit off fireworks a few times while I was there. Fuga, Ginga’s younger sister, was the one who taught me how to properly do fireworks the first day we got there. Ginga’s Mother and Father would always teach me new Japanese words and tell me about their culture. Throughout the day, I would use the little bits and pieces of Japanese that I knew to talk with them. My host family would always ask me questions about Canada and I would try explaining as best I could in English so that they could understand. We would always be laughing and enjoying the time together no matter what we were doing.

Close to the end of my trip we went to the bookstore. I asked Ginga’s father if there were any books on how to learn Japanese in English. We ended up finding a few books. When I was going to pay for the books, her father insisted paying for them. He told me It was a present from him and that the next time we see each other we can talk in Japanese. This made me want to learn the language more because of the gift he gave me. I am taking Japanese class at school to learn a bit more of the Japanese language. One day I hope I can talk to Ginga and her family and be able to tell them things I was not able to before.

From the moment I was there, until the time I left Japan, I felt a part of Ginga’s family. The connections I made across the world are very memorable and I will hold dear to my heart. My experiences there have made me even more passionate about Japan and the culture. Every day was a fantastic time and there was not one moment where I was not smiling and having fun. I would take a trip like this again if I had the opportunity.

-By Sarah Cassidy

https://cchjapan2016.wordpress.com/
This is a link to the CCH photo album from the 2015-2016 trip to Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment