Wednesday 1 November 2017

Women Rule the World

Women have always been perceived as weak and fragile for as long as I can remember. There weren’t many female role models for me when I was younger, but now there are proud, strong women everywhere I look. Feminism has given me the courage to be proud of being a girl and to stop caring what other people think.


Being a feminist does not mean hating men or wanting men to be lesser than women, but rather wanting to be given the same opportunities and treatment as men. All women need to realize their own self-worth in order to be the best they can be. Coco Chanel once said, “A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” and it has given other women and myself the confidence to chase after what we want in life, no matter what men think. Before I knew girls could be whoever they want to be, I was as misogynistic as other kids were. We were told “boys will be boys” whenever they did something wrong and to just accept that as an excuse, but now I have realized that the feminine and masculine stereotypes are unimportant and useless in my life. I identify as a feminist and I always will because it's the only thing that gives me courage and hope. I no longer give men the power to make me, or any other women in my life, doubt our self-worth.


Women are no longer seen as weak and fragile in my eyes. I refuse to let any girl or myself see ourselves as that. When I was younger, I was told to just accept that boys can do whatever they want and girls couldn't do what boys can do because that's just how things are, but that's not true. Girls can do anything they set their minds to.

-Mya Black Plume

(Alicia Keys - Girl Can't Be Herself)

No comments:

Post a Comment