Thursday 2 November 2017

Superhero Inside All of Us

“There is a superhero inside all of us we just need the courage to put on the cape.” This quote reminds me of my brother, because he told me that if I ever get Alzheimer's disease, that he would put a wonder woman costume in my closet. He said that a long time ago, but it feels like decades ago because of how much has happened and the changes we've been through. Sometimes he can be a pain (what brother isn't?), but this quote also reminds me of when I was getting bullied. One day after school my brother found me crying on the playground and I remember he was really concerned and actually hugged me. He wrapped his arms around me and gave me a tight squeeze then asked who upset me. I could tell he was frustrated, so I told him that it was not a big deal because I didn't want him to get in trouble. I was reluctant to tell him, but he was persistent, so I just told him that this guy by my locker dropped a textbook on my head and laughed about it. The boy didn't even care about the pain he inflicted, but I wasn’t surprised because he had picked on me many times before. My brother knew who he was, and as we were starting to walk home my brother saw him and then ran over to him and punched the bully in the face. I will remember this moment for the rest of my life, and how the kid fell on the ground holding his nose. I will remember how he looked at me still holding his nose with blood flowing through his hands, apologizing to me for picking on me then got up and ran away leaving a trail of blood behind him. In this situation my brother is my superhero -without a cape.    

-Linda Mannix-Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment