Sunday 18 January 2015

When Hope and Courage are Nowhere to Be Found

“Here is the tragedy: when you are the victim of depression, not only do you feel utterly helpless and abandoned by the world, you also know that very few people can understand, or even begin to believe, that life can be this painful.”
                                                                                                                                                                                Giles Andreae


It has been four years since I began my battle with depression and just like any battle there have been quite a few ups and downs. When thinking about a battle the first thing that normally comes to mind is two different people fighting against one another; however, this certain battle was between me and the demons that occupy my mind. There have been so many times when I have just wanted to throw my hands into the air and give up... like when I sit in my room with silent tears running down my face, or like the first time I ever self-harmed. Although not every day is bad this war going on inside me is so tiring that sometimes I don’t want to get out of bed and attempt to face the world, and there are times where the things in my head are just so hard to deal with that I don’t want to close my eyes and sleep for fear of the thoughts taking over. Normally the only time I feel any sort of relief is when I am listening to music and honestly, without that momentary escape I have no idea where I would be or how I would be handling any of this.





By Rosemary Gleason


No comments:

Post a Comment