Sunday 18 January 2015

Courage in the Gutter

Facing terrors of our past is looked upon as a form of courage. As a child I lived in a messed up neighborhood living next to bloods, Indian posse and Drug dealers. Even when I was just watching T.V I would always see three to four squad cars per day cruising down the road. I would even see the blinking of red and blue flashing through my window upon seeing neighbors being arrested. As I prompted myself off the couch I would look down and ask my dad, “What’s going on?” Then he would respond by saying, “Foolish choices son dumb choices”. As a kid I always wondered why people have to live in this state.  My parents where refuges of a communist country just trying to start a new life in Canada. They are honest, hard working people who cared about me very dearly and loved me very much; they were also like a pillow to comfort the rough of the hood.  When I was four years old I was walking with my grandmother down the block and I noticed a dog walking around and as I was walking the dog came up and attacked  me.  I never realized that what was happening would be so painful, as the stray dog was chewing on me my grandmother came up and started beating it with her cane.  The love and respect I got from my family was all put there in one picture. What also helped to give me courage growing up was being face to face with Bloods to anybody else it would have traumatized them or even cause them to piss themselves, but not me; I had many moments of painful lessons that taught me that there is nothing to fear when you have already overcome it.  

By Chris Franczek

No comments:

Post a Comment