Saturday 24 October 2015

Passion in Work


I am passionate about skateboarding. It’s on my mind all day long, thinking of places I’d like to skate and new tricks I’d like to learn. There are some difficulties you face growing up in Lethbridge wanting to skate and this includes the lack of indoor spots/parks to skate during the long winters. During the winter my friends and I get restless and wish for nothing but to be skating again. The wind is also an issue, making it very hard to skate in the park on certain days. The skate park is designed to either skate west- east or east -west, and the wind blows in those directions. The skate park is great and my friends and I make it work, but for a demographic of our size the park is too small  and this is a bad thing because the park is usually crowded, with people commonly running into each other. I have been run into my many children and even adults.  A lot of these run-ins are caused by young scooter kids who don’t know what they’re doing. Some parents even bring their kids in tricycles, sleds and wagons and let their kids take over the park. Parents should educate their children on taking turns and proper skate park etiquette. The lack of street spots is also an issue; quality spots in Lethbridge are almost non-existent. The good spots were capped a long time ago because of the older generation of skaters who skated them. Street spots are important when filming videos. Security is pretty active downtown making it almost impossible to skate during the weekdays without getting kicked out within 5 minutes. Security is also bad at the University. Don’t get me wrong I love skating, but these are just a few things wrong with Lethbridge.

There is a good in Lethbridge too. I’m glad we got a new park built; it’s a lot better than the old one. The old skate park was isolated making it quite dangerous at certain times of the day. The ground there was rough making falling even more painful and it had a lack of good street obstacles. The new park has obstacles for almost everybody and for practicing different tricks. I appreciate what The Boarderline does for the local skate scene. The Boarderline is the local skate shop and they are regularly putting on contests and events, they also help out skaters with discounts and cheap products. They have helped me out with free boards in the past after looking at the condition mine was in. I’m lucky to have a great group of friends too, who inspire me to get better. I enjoy the time I spend skating with them. There are a few good skate spots in the city like Chinook, a spot with lots of flat ground, ledges, benches and gaps. There is a new spot in the industrial called Greggs Distribution that has two long ledges, gaps, many pads, lots of smooth flat ground and ramps to wallie. The industrial has a lot of new secret spots that people are discovering.  The University also has a lot of spots across the campus; we are still finding new ones when we visit there. On rainy days you can go skate the Indoor parkade at the hospital, which has active security patrolling the area or the indoor parking lot at the downtown Scotia Bank after it closes.
Lethbridge has a tight knit scene. I can go to the skate park and recognise every local and they could say the same about me. There are a few skaters who inspire me. Dylan “Dillz” Righthand is a Calgary skateboarder that inspires me that through hard work and determination you can achieve your dreams while still enjoying yourself. He is out there skating every day, rain or shine. Dillz does innovative creative tricks and I like his clothing style. Another inspiration is Ishod Wair, a skater who just focuses on skateboarding and he is very talented. He also has a good style on a skateboard and an advanced trick selection. He worked very hard to get where he is today and is being rewarded for it. My favourite website to watch skateboarding is Thrasher Magazine. I go here daily to watch any new skateboard clips. Thrasher likes to present raw gnarly skateboarding instead of documentaries or dramatic videos that focus on art or other stuff including little actual skating that other websites are responsible for.

-Brandon Amonson


 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment