Sunday 25 October 2015

My father was forced into St .Paul’s Residential School when he was 4 years old. In that school he was bullied tremendously for his weight. He was a little bigger than most kids his age. They would call him names such as “fat so”, or “chunky”. What they didn’t know was that he would grow up to stand his ground. He joined a boxing club at the age of 17 years old. He trained day in and day out. There was never a day that he would miss, even if that meant running with blood, sweat, and tears approximately 30 km outside of Standoff, Alberta, in any weather condition. My father was the 7th child out of 12.  Living on a reserve made things very difficult.  He didn’t have the money to pay for his fees, so he would work for it with his coach. His goal was to follow after one of Rocky Balboa quotes, “Every champion was a contender who refused to give up”.  

After training for two years he began competing all across Alberta as well as Gonzaga in the States. He fought very hard until he was given the belt for a Champion Golden Glove Boxer. Of course there was some wins and there was losses, but the most important thing that he loved about boxing was that the people who bullied him in Residential Schools were now most likely watching him on T.V.  He became a lot more confident.  He was always focused on himself and the gym, that was until my mother came along. They were together for a year before she got pregnant with my brother Jonny. He gave up the love of his career for the love of his children. That was when he decided he wanted one of his children to follow down the path that he couldn’t. My brother was more of a die-hard basketball player who didn’t enjoy boxing, so once I was born my father started sparing with me.  He taught me different techniques for self-defence. I knew how to tie wraps at the age of 5 and I knew all my stances. 

It was in middle school that I decided to get into the Lethbridge Boxing Club.  I didn’t join because that’s what my father wanted; I joined because he became extremely ill.  It has been two years since they told him that he had cancer in his throat. I knew that if I no longer had my father than I would need to learn how to stand my ground for myself. I was the only girl out of all 5 of my brothers, so that meant I got picked on the most. They made fun of my weight, but most importantly they made fun of my height. I am 5’2. Most people would find that intimidating.  Well, I do. I was not as weak as they thought though. As I started training my coach thought I was in a boxing club prior to this. He said I had the ability to be put in the ring in two months. That made me nervous because we had to find someone in my weight and height division, but I made my father proud.  All this time he had hoped that his sons would follow down his path. I had the courage to show him that if they don’t I will no matter how much I am insecure of my weight and height.

-Alexis Marshalsay

No comments:

Post a Comment