Sunday 25 October 2015

Numb

I’m not going to start this off with "courage and hope this" and "courage and hope that". I’m going to start by saying… Hi. I’m not a very open person naturally and I think it is because all my life I’ve learned that if guys show their emotions or their soft side then they’re automatically less “manly”. Everyone has a soft side whether it’s for the people they love, the things they like to do, or for food or whatever it is; everyone has a soft side. I like to tell myself that I really don’t care what people think of me, but in all honesty, I do. I take a lot of things personally and it’s a bad trait to have especially when it just brings you down all the time. Elementary school and junior high were the darkest days for me.

In elementary school, I spent 6 years in an anger management program. I hated my parents and teachers for putting me in it. I can’t actually remember why I was put in there in the first place, but I was six years old and let’s just say I disagreed with a lot of other kids and I liked to express my opinion in harsher ways than most would. Anyway, after that whole little scene my parents went through a divorce and that’s when my life became grey. I didn’t understand why my dad never came home after work anymore and it was upsetting. After I realized what had happened, I got over it faster than I would have thought. I just learned to accept it as my life kept getting darker and darker and eventually I became numb to the pain.
In junior high, I tried really hard to fit in and to be popular, but that was quickly extinguished by people who thought they were too good for me. Eventually I just accepted being alone and that’s how I spent a lot of my days. I remember going outside one day and it was bright and sunny; it was probably 30 degrees but I didn’t see it like that. For me, it was actually dark. It was daunting. I started to ignore my parents and the few friends that I had and they would get mad at me, but I just didn’t care. I didn’t eat, sleep, talk, or even make eye contact with anyone else who tried to talk to me. I faked sick so that I wouldn’t have to go to school. I lied to my parents, friends, family, and everyone who might have cared about me just so I could be alone. I did things to myself and other people that were so wrong and I regret it every single day of my life.
The courage and hope in this could be the fact that I’m revealing a soft side about myself which if you haven’t caught on by now, is my past. I don’t remember the feelings as much as the actions only because of how numb I became to everything.
After high school started, I became more focused on myself and what I wanted to do after school and I signed up for the RAP program. As I trudged through my freshman year, I met a girl. This girl, like no other, caught my eye quicker than anything else in the world. She’s the one thing that could actually get through to me. I fell in love and ‘til this day, she is still the only thing that can get me through the day and she is truly my savior.
-Justin Tweter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYiU_JCYtU

No comments:

Post a Comment