Saturday 24 October 2015

Jump On Opportunity

When life gives you an opportunity don’t ever hesitate to jump on it and take what you can for your own benefit.

            Although it may not be fully visible or obvious to most people I’m surrounded by, and you may not be able to tell by the outgoing and confident person I am now, I have been through a lot. I struggled with depression throughout my life starting around grade six. My doctor rated my depression on a scale of one to ten, one being minimal depression and ten being the worse. I came up at a nine. I was insecure and unconfident. I dreaded waking up just as most teenagers do, but I dreaded it for different reasons. I used to get bullied when I was younger. I ended up turning to self-harm as an unsuccessful, but addicting solution to what I was going through. This “solution” got me placed in a hospital for a week.
            One day a job came up, an opportunity to get my mind off of the overthinking and the pain. So, I worked. I worked 16 hour days, six days a week pouring concrete, raking, and finishing at an industrial scale. My record is 22,000 square feet poured, raked, and finished in one day with a four man crew. I ended up losing 35 pounds just over the summer. I gained muscle definition and strength. My strength was not only physical, but also mental. I took an opportunity even though I knew it would be hard work. Because of this decision, my body and brain transformed into something previously unimaginable to myself. I was changed forever in the best way that possibly could have happened.
         So, now I sit here writing my story for people to read. I want anyone reading this to listen when I tell you, take it to heart when people say a little hard work doesn’t kill you. Jump on opportunities that come along even if that means a difficult journey because the outcome is worth every drop of blood, or stream of sweat that comes from you. The outcome will help you realize no matter how hard life gets, there will always be brighter days. 
-Aedan Dunning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJqUN9TClM

No comments:

Post a Comment