Friday 31 October 2014

Music Affects Your Brain

“Music affects your brain, and you don’t have to be weak minded for it to do so.” In thinking of what I would write about on hope and courage in my life I realized that what keeps me going is music. I could listen to music literally twenty four seven if it wasn’t considered rude to have headphones in while I’m in class and just being around people in general. Music gives me the isolation I look for when I’m stressed and want to black out. Music gives me a world in my head full of imagination and dreams. There was a day in my life that I was told really sad information and the first thing I did was flop on my bed, plug in my headphones and throw on “the only one” by The Black Keys and it calmed me down and by listening to the lyrics I could connect to the message. There are so many little parts in a song that I just never forget and I try living by the lyrics that inspire me. Like in the song mentioned above, he says “this is just a phase” and for some reason when I heard that I just knew that the sad moment I was currently living in would eventually blow over and just be another phase. Three years have passed and that phase has legitimately blown over. My parents have buried the hatchet and have decided that they would work out there marriage considering how well it’s been going so far. I can’t recall if I have ever told them that I forgive them for putting me through such a dirt time, but I feel like I should because they are my parents and they love me and like the stress that they’ve had to go through before I was even around is crazy, but it’s kind of funny because I think I’m starting to see how I’m my father’s son and my mother’s son. Just the other day the house was dead silent, mum was cooking up some stew so the house sure smelled good but yet not a sound. Until I heard the most beautiful murmur from upstairs “let’s get together and feel alright” my mother and I have been able to connect when we listen to Bob Marley ever since the first day I heard the Rastafarian when I was getting ready for grade two or three. And my father and I can relate to the same music even better. That song by The Black Keys “the only one” my dad had told me was his favourite song on the album when he bought it and without hesitation I could answer that it was mine as well for it gave me the hope I needed.

 By Xavier Quon


1 comment:

  1. I totally got what you were saying. It's a way to get your mind off the bad and focus on the good, a song can change your mood in a matter of a song and can forever change how you look at something

    ReplyDelete