Friday 31 October 2014

Hope When It Feels Gone

I haven’t experienced anything close to what some of my fellow classmates, but I have gone through the most painful experience of my life. It was just near the end of school when I broke my collar bone. I have broken both of my arms, but I have never been in as much pain as I was when I broke my collar bone. It broke when I was playing lacrosse. The league I was playing in was with seventeen to twenty one year olds, I was sixteen at the time. We were down in the game and I don’t like to lose, so I was trying anything to get some shots on net. The score was 3-1 for the opposing time in the second period. With less than five minutes left in the period I was trying to go to the net; it was me against one other defender. I tried to go to the middle until another guy sandwich me against the defender I was trying to go around.  My bone snapped like a twig. The x-ray basically showed my bone at a ninety degree angle.

Once I felt that I ran to the bench, my trainer came over to me and asked how I was doing I replied with "a little sore but okay". I never knew that my collar bone was broken at the time. He moved my equipment over to see my shoulder and you could see my bone almost poking through my skin. He right away said that we are going to the hospital.  I was a little confused because I thought I just knocked the wind out of me, but I was really wrong. On the ride there I lost all the adrenaline, the pain really kicked in at that time. I could feel every bump in the road. The part that was the scariest was not being able to move my upper body. The collar bone is like the center part of your body.
My team never gave up hope in the game when I left for the hospital. With twenty minutes left in the game my team came back to win the game 4-3. We beat the best team in the league. I might have lost hope in the game, but my team never did.

By Blake Snedden



No comments:

Post a Comment