Thursday 30 October 2014

A Lesson In Saying Goodbye


“…Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:7-9)

This particular quote is very significant to me because I can connect to it in a way that has brought me peace and understanding within myself.

The loss of a loved one will leave you feeling empty inside. As if the world will never be the same again and nothing will ever be able to heal your pain. The truth is that time heals all wounds and the world keeps going as if nothing happened. The power of courage and hope is very beneficial; when used right, it can allow you to achieve things that you weren’t initially capable of. It can change and revise your whole perception on life and your way of going about things. My perspective on life and my faith have drastically changed through keeping hope and courage. I never would have known I’d be saying this but, in the midst of unexpected tragedy, I do believe somewhere inside me that some good has come out of it.

Not many people that are close to me know that I have two sisters. They’re only aware of one because well my older one passed away when I was just 8 years old.  Her name is Misty and she was 17 when her life was taken away in a car accident.

I can vividly remember that one night where my whole world came tumbling down. It was around 2 am in the morning when we heard knocking at the door and realized that it was the police. I was young, so I had no idea what was going on until eventually the officers broke the bad news. I remember there were two friendly female social workers that had come with the police and they gave my sister and I teddy bears and they were talking to us, trying to keep us calm and relaxed. I really didn’t know how to react or take it because it all came so unexpected and soon. All the hope and courage that I had was immediately stripped of me and I felt so alone because I was really close to her. There were countless memories that we’ve shared together and I just couldn’t imagine a life without her. She would always tell me silly jokes and funny things that she came across and I loved that. Her humor was the best thing about her. There can be days where my whole household is in a bad mood and she would just crack one of her jokes and the entire atmosphere reciprocated. The next couples years after that, the amount of grief and sadness that I’ve felt was heavier than ever because I felt like I couldn’t go to anyone else. Even though I had my friends and the rest of my family. I had a connection with Misty that I had with no other. I felt like I could tell her anything and bring my problems to her because she would always have an answer for me. She was into writing and poetry, so she would come up with these cheesy, prudent literary writings that fit my exact problem, that’s what I loved about her. I just loved being a little gremlin towards her with my other sister Mackenzie. We would sneak down into her room and scare her and all these little annoying things that children do. She would get really mad at us eventually but it was worth it. I kept thinking about all the times that we’ve spent with her and it’s only making me miss her more. I always thought what if she hadn’t gone out that weekend with her friends? That very thought has been deep down inside me for as long as I could think. It’s just so hard to grasp everything and take it in because it’s not what I want. I just want her back, nothing else.

As I slowly and surely starting growing up, I felt physically and emotionally shattered, and now this tragedy sent me teetering on the brink. There was no place to put this senseless loss. All I could feel besides grief was anger. I was angry at people around me and so many things that were so darn unfair, but what really stopped me in my tracks was the realization that I was really mad at God. He could have stopped that tragedy from happening, but He didn’t. To tell the truth, God did not seem good to me at that time. In my heart, I knew that He was a good God, but in the face of such devastation, it was hard to convince my mind. Nothing can destroy our faith as much as when we begin to doubt God’s goodness. Along the path of suffering, we stand at a fork in the road. We have two choices. Do we lose hope and courage and believe God doesn’t exist, or worse, that He has abandoned us, or do we determine to believe, hope, and trust Him at all cost?

The news that was given to us was that there were six people in the car when it rolled multiple times and ended in the ditch. It was my sister and 5 of her friends. My sister had a friend by the name Chantel and they had the same body size and everything. The other four were 2 guys and a girl. When they crashed, one of the two girls died at the scene instantly and the other didn’t. At the time, the police weren’t able to identify which were which so they eventually told us that my sister was the one that died on the scene. We were all in shock and disbelief. The whole situation was all a misunderstanding and they actually got my sister and her friend mixed up. My sister did not pass away on the scene, instead was airlifted and taken to Calgary Children’s Hospital. We were told my sister was dead, so after a day or two we were then beginning to plan the funeral and all that stuff. Chantel’s family was at Calgary hospital in the room where my sister was, thinking that it was their daughter. I honestly don’t know how they didn’t know because they were there holding her hand thinking that she’s alive. But their daughter died instantly in the crash. We eventually figured out the whole situation and was then reunited with my sister in the hospital. My entire family and extended family were driving all over the place and calling each other trying to find out what was happening. I can still remember everything so clearly, as if it happened just last week. My sister was in critical condition and was in a coma. I remember being at her bedside, holding her hand and just hoping that she’d open her eyes and wake up. I didn’t know it was possible to say as many prayers as I did that night. I’d be holding her hand and it’d twitch and move sometimes and my hopes were suddenly lifted then dropped when she didn’t do anything. There was really nothing we could do because she was basically alive through the machines. The hardest thing that I had to sit there and go through was the decision on whether or not to pull the cord. Eventually they did and my sisters final zigzag lines became a linear line, followed by that indicated sound of no heartbeat.

Eventually after a few years, I started my first year of junior high school. I never ever talked about my sister passing away because it was just too hard. I just couldn’t forgive myself for some reason and I knew that it wasn’t my fault. The very feeling of grief and sorrow was the core of my body and it felt like whatever I did, I found myself feeling sad. Every time I even tried to think about it, a tear would come to my eye because I just haven’t accepted the fact that she’s gone and isn’t coming back. I found myself praying to God a lot more when I was by myself and always questioned God. Why did you have to take her? I wouldn’t allow myself to let her go and always wondered if she was okay. My hope and courage was very little at this point in time and I felt unsure of what to do anymore. Everything changed during this one night and I think strengthened my hope, courage and faith in the Lord. I was sleeping and I had a dream about my sister Misty. In my dream, everything around me was pearly white and to me, it appeared to be heaven. I saw my sister I’d say 10 feet away from me and she was smiling and seemed so happy. I sure was happy and excited to see her. All I was thinking about was running up to her and giving her the biggest hug I could squeeze out of me, but I couldn’t. Something wouldn’t let me go close to her, like it were a barrier between life and death. I kept calling out to her all these questions and asking her if she okay but all she did was smile at me. The only words she spoke to me were, “don’t worry or cry anymore, I’m okay.”

Then I woke up. I immediately felt a feeling of relief and peacefulness, as if weights were lifted off my shoulders and I could live and breathe again. After that, I felt myself not becoming as sad and thinking about all that happened. This particular dream has really made me think differently on death and that there quite possibly is a life after death. My faith in God has improved significantly and the hope inside me as risen to new heights.

            Without hope and courage in our lives, we place a limitation upon ourselves in the things that we can do and grow from. In order for us to grow and have sudden realizations in life, we must have that hope and desire to do things and let ourselves become better and mature out of it. Like I said before, I believe something good has come out of my sisters passing in that I’ve become more mature and open-minded in all that I do. Your life can change drastically at any moment. Don’t take life or the people that you love for granted; you’re only here once. Losing Misty taught me that living everyday intentionally and purposefully is what I intend to strive for. I am sorry that I had to lose her to realize that. It has been 9 years since that day, and sometimes I still hope it was all a dream. But nothing is more certain in life than death. My sister was one of my best friends and it hurts me that she is going to miss out on my high school graduation and my entrance to post-secondary. It also hurts me that she won’t be here for when I get married or start a family, but I know she is up in Heaven watching over me and waiting for the day until I can be with her again…

By Skylar Firstrider


No comments:

Post a Comment