Sunday 5 April 2020

Facing the Fear with Courage and Hope

Fear is something that makes us feel uncomfortable. We might not be able to face it because we think fear would destroy the effort we put in and life might get even worse. People will escape their fear so that they can stay in their comfort zone forever, but unfortunately, fear is reality, we have to face it. Our comfort zone shield will finally be broken and at this time, there is no way back. Fear keeps pushing us to the cliff. If we still compromise with it, we will finally fall into the endless darkness. If life is controlled by fear then people are “dead” inside. In order to avoid it happening, we need to hold these two weapons - courage and hope - against the greatest enemy in our life. 

I remember when I was in junior high school, I had an addiction to video games for a long time. At that time, my life was easy, but also very meaningless. I went to school and back home to play video games for the rest of the day. To be honest, my life was totally absorbed by video games, I kept thinking about video games all the time. My friends started to stay away from me, and my body was sick. I can hardly imagine how skinny I was at that time; my appearance was terrible: black eyes, dry lips, dirty face, and my hair was a mess. My arms were so thin that I couldn’t even hold a 50 pound box. My parents tried to stop me, but I just couldn’t. I became scared and hopeless. I knew what I was doing was so wrong. I had to make some changes. I needed to get back to common life. I tried not to play for two days, but on the third day I was so excited when I saw the screen, I couldn’t help myself and I picked up the controller. After that, the two days effort was wasted. I felt so disappointed and guilty. I wished I had my hands cut off so that I would not be able to play video games.

I started over again,  I started to accept new things in my life. My friends saw my change and decided to help me go through this. I was so glad that I had some friends who could save my life. We studied our homework and played sports together, and staying with them was happy and pleasant. As the days went through, my methods to get rid of my video game addiction became harder and harder. In the 18 day I finally couldn’t control myself. I became excited and manic. The only thing I wanted was to play video games even for a minute. The voice from the deepest heart told me, "No". I was scared. I didn’t know what to do. I locked myself in a room and I leaned on the wall. Every time when I had a single thought about video games I would punch my face. I kept telling myself I could do it. Slowly I was getting tired and fell asleep. The next day was a sunny day, I woke up and felt relaxed and when I thought about video games it made no attraction to me anymore. I knew I defeated it.

Through this experience, I realize that when we are facing the fear,  our hope and courage will help us defeat our fears. When I was in the most difficult time in my life, I decided to step forward, and my courage gave me this chance to start. My hope kept me putting in effort during this process.
I believe that if I am full of hope and courage, I will be able to face any fear in the future and defeat it.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment