Wednesday 15 June 2016

Addiction

The strength of acceptance and the will to keep taking steps forward are two very important things, as well as the courage to overcome your personal beliefs for the benefit of others. Throughout my life I’ve been surrounded by alcohol and drugs used to counteract the overwhelming feeling of grief and sorrow. At first, I only saw it as an unreasonable and selfish act. I didn’t acknowledge the idea of hidden pain and I had a strong feeling of anger and sadness built up because these were the decisions of the people I love and I was left wondering why. Why would they do that to themselves? Why would they risk hurting the people they loved? The thing is, they didn’t realize they were hurting anybody. They sought out a temporary way to forget the hardships they’ve dealt with throughout their lives. Although, I’ve spent quite a bit of time reacting to this in a one-sided manner, I now realize how hard it must be for them to pull out of this difficult time in their lives. They were scared and unfortunately, it’s hard to just change your beliefs so quickly and easily, it takes time and I believe many people can help change and inspire people for the better. If we, as a whole, look after each other then we can prosper. It takes a lot of understanding and patience, but it’s possible. For years I didn’t have these aspects. My family members would continue doing what they did and I stayed back and minded my own business. I secretly hoped they would change their ways while also feeling a sense of anger. It wasn’t right of me to do and it’s a good thing I realized the actions I was and wasn’t taking, otherwise I’d still be in the same mindset.

I chose this song because it makes me realize the importance of the care provided by others and the impact it provides for people through personal and difficult times. This song brings a sense of calm and inspiration for me and hopefully, for others as well. Despite the length and the shortage of lyrics, I think a sentence can go a long way in a sense of feeling inspired to help the people around you.

R.L.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment