Wednesday 17 January 2018

Life Goes On


Most of the people that I know are miserable, as if someone blew out their candles and it seems like they’re stuck in the darkness. It made me sad to see many people like that. Four years ago I asked a friend of mine, whose name is James, about why he was so miserable and unkind to himself. He then proceeded to tell me that, “there are things in life that are not meant to be.” In his case he was not able to achieve his dreams because of an accident that paralyzed his legs, and he continued to tell me that there is no hope for him and that maybe he deserves the situation that he is in. I went home and thought of the possibilities and what could have been, and I was able to realize the importance of courage and hope in our lives. Tragedies, temptations or unexpected problems might happen and it’s going to make us vulnerable at times and it may change our perspective in life negatively, but if we have that sense of courage to grow and hope to have a brighter future ahead the positiveness that life can offer us will help us withstand all of those problems.The fact is that we are still alive and breathing, and we can still do whatever we want even though we might need some assistance in achieving our goals or wants. Believing is the key to let courage and hope take over our lives.

After four years James was able to find his heart again, and he learned to love himself and to love others. He learned to accept his situation and he did his best to make the most out of it. I asked him why he changed and he said, “I fell in love with a girl and I got scared that maybe sooner or later she will wake up and not want me, but then I got tired of having these negative thoughts and I got tired of being miserable all the time. The girl continued to show her love for me and finally I build up the courage to be a better person and the hope to be able face all the challenges I am going through. I chose to be better for myself and for her because this is how I wanted my life to be. I thought I could never get through this but I did. I am blessed to have this life.” I was amazed by what he said. It really made appreciate my life more and the people that surround me. Courage and hope really do have a big effect in one's life.

-Sofia Olvis

The man talking in the video is Nick Vujicic. He was born with tetra-amelia syndrome, it means that he is born without legs and limbs. He is a motivational speaker. It is said that he is one of the seven known surviving individuals planet-wide who live with the syndrome. Way back before when he was a teenager he attempted suicide because he get bullied in school a lot. His mother showed him a man who was also dealing with a severe disability and after that he started to give talks at his prayer group. He was able to conquer his life and he finally accepted himself. No matter what his situation is he will always focus on the bright side.


Those men above have prosthetic legs. Their disabilities did not stop them from joining and finishing the marathon that they’re in. Even though it is hard, they still made it happen because they both have the essence of courage and hope in their lives. It also made me think that if I want to do something I should start working on it and motivate myself to achieve. The guys in the picture once thought that they could not make it, but they chose to focus on the positive side and it gave them courage and hope to achieve what they want. Both of these athletes made history and they were able to capture the hearts of a lot of people. They were able to inspire a lot of people that have disabilities. They gave them hope and courage that even though they don’t have legs they still can make the most of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment