Friday 1 April 2016

Set From the Sun


Growing up I have learned quite a few things, but one of the biggest things that I have learned is that when you’re younger you see everything so differently including all bad things there are in this world.  As a young child I experienced the death of a really close family friend, but being as young as I was I didn’t really understand much about death.  Isaac was only 12 years old when he passed away and without him things did feel out of place.

Almost every morning Isaac and I would get up early and make our way to the beach to enjoy the calmness of the waves and sun. I remember Isaac never went to school and never ate the same things I would eat and I also remember him always being pale all the time, but I never thought anything more of it. The thing I didn’t truly understand was that Isaac wasn’t like me, Isaac had a rare blood disease that caused him to be tired and weak all the time. Two weeks before my birthday we got a call from my aunty saying the Isaac was in the hospital and about to undergo heart surgery due to a struggle of blood flow to his heart.  A few hours later we receive the news that Isaac went into a comma and four days later Isaac passed away. I was so heartbroken to hear that my best friend, who I loved so much, wasn’t going to be with me anymore. 

It wasn’t just until recently that I began to see his death differently.  Growing up I always felt like it wasn’t fair that he had to leave this world behind at such a young age, but then I realized that even though he was very ill he did live a very happy life. Isaac always had a smile on his face and such a contagious laugh that could cheer up a whole crowd. When I think of Isaac I think of the amount of courage he had because every action he did came from the heart. I deeply respect Isaac for all the challenges he had to overcome at such a young age. There was never a time where he would blame his illness or complain about the life he was given and to me that is strength - to pick yourself up and keep moving forward.  

  https://youtu.be/Cx1b6cgF4U4

Our favourite song that we would listen to.              

-By Salma Moreira

No comments:

Post a Comment