Friday 1 April 2016

Finding Who You Really Are


I used to be a big athlete. I used to be a top tier baseball player, and I also dabbled in junior high basketball, but then it all disappeared in a couple of seconds. I was trying out for Team Alberta’s baseball team. We were doing forty metre sprints. I was known for my speed, but as I stepped up to the line next to me was a kid who was also known for his speed.  The whistle went and we were off. About half way through the race all I could here was a loud snap. Pain shot all the way the way through my left leg, but I end up finishing the race anyway barely beating the other guy. I hobbled over to the dugout to get some water and to get my glove to start warm up. I sat down take a drink of water and tried to get up, but I collapsed because I couldn’t get my left leg underneath me. The pain was insane through my left thigh. I knew from that point on I couldn’t play baseball at the same level again. My hopes were shot. My hopes of going to college for baseball down south, and all my dreams were shattered. I had to go through intense physiotherapy because I tore my quad. After this incident I got down, maybe I could even say depressed. I had nothing left to live up to. My life was baseball and then boom, gone. My friends and family helped me get through it. Before my injury I didn't want to get into the family business, but after the injury the family business gave me something to work towards. It gave me hope, a dream, a goal to work towards. The goal of taking over the family company is what is giving me hope; it’s my motivator now instead of baseball. How I look at it is that the injury was a good thing. I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life before the injury, but after I found out who I really am, what I really want to be in life.

http://galkohomes.com/

-By Brian Galts

No comments:

Post a Comment