Tuesday 5 April 2016

It Is What It Is

Growing up was never easy for me, not only losing my dad, but finding out the truth about who he really was; my father was a drug dealer. This shattered my whole world.   The man I once I looked up to and loved so much, turned out to be a villain. When I am asked about my dad I don’t want to talk about it. When I do talk about it or think about it, it brings me nothing but pain, confusion, and causes me to feel shameful of whom I am. That’s when I need to have courage to accept reality, even when lots of people would dislike it.  I know that my father was that kind of man, but he was also a part of me, so it is important to see the other side of him.  With that in mind, I can say that he was hard-working because during my childhood my father showed me what it is to get knocked down and still get up and keep hoping and trying for the best.  My dad was a man who walked and ended up in a wheelchair, but he still kept his job even if it meant travelling 21 kilometers to the other side of the town when he his legs could no longer work.  I loved my dad more than anything, and he was my superhero and I wish I got more time to spend with him; there is not a single time I think about him without tears.  His death was the most horrible thing I ever had to go through in my life.  Every time I watch a Superhero movie I always think about him.  Every time a bad guy in the movie is shot cold, and the audience cheers, well in those movies I always think about the little boy that man left behind, waiting at home for his father to return. I will miss all the times my dad would spin me around and play soccer with me, so now I am left in silence to remember him, alone in my room.


My life may have lots of crazy situations from the beginning to this point, but I know I must try to do my best, to become a better person in the future.  I have learned from my dad’s mistakes so, each and every day I strive for something better.  I try and try until I get it.  It took lots of courage for me to heal brokenness and pain and to accept reality the way it is.   Accepting my dad, who I loved so much, gives me the skills and knowledge to take steps to correct wrongs because when I have kids of my own I want to be there.

-By Chris

I chose this as a link/song because, the song, kind of connections with my life, the way it is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment