Tuesday 5 April 2016

Hope and courage is what gives us the strength to believe in the good, to dream of better when times are difficult. Without courage and hope people wouldn’t be able to get out of bed in the morning. For me my family and friends give me strength to do my best, and to do my part in providing whatever I can for the ranch or to help with my parents when they need me. I have also learned a valuable lesson during this quarter: don’t take two core subjects at the same time in grade 12!   
Courage in my life comes from my family, mostly my mother. My mother has always cared for me, even when I was pushing her away. When I need something she always did her best to impress, even if it was very little but it always worked. My father, my grandfather, my brother and I all own about 80 head of cattle. Mostly my father and grandfather own about 40 each and my brother and I own 3 head each. It is hard work feeding and protecting them from mostly hungry dogs looking for an easy meal.  Many of the days we feed and work its blowing wind hard, and it’s even worse during the winter forking hay off the back of a trailer. My grandfather started the cattle business at a time when the Blood Reserve needed bus drivers for the new schools (after they gained control of our education, after the residential schools where closed). This gave him a good paying job and the ability to buy the cattle that we are now taking care of.  Everything that my family has done for me gives me strength to do as good as they did in taking care of me.  I wish to take care of their cattle business the best I can.  Courage and hope for me is what helps me dream of what I can accomplish with what I have and through the guidance of my family.  I also learned through my difficult experiences this year, not to take two core classes in the same quarter, but even through tough times when I have doubts on accomplishing my goals I have the courage and hope to get me through.
-By Austin Standing Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment