Tuesday 22 January 2019

Thinking About Myself Using Courage and Hope

In this piece I will be reflecting on myself and my hockey career. It was hard for me to express myself online when I was in middle school and in person because I was unsure of how I looked and  other people looked at me and thought of me. The people who I thought were judging me were like the monsters to me and I had to get through the monsters by worrying about what I thought and not what others thought. When I got to high school it got a lot easier because I didn’t care what other people thought of me and wasn’t scared of being myself because all of my friends accepted who I was from the start, I just had to learn to get the courage and hope to accept myself.  With the courage and hope that I got in high school about my personal appearance, I began to not worry about that and started to worry about my life, like my schooling, work and how I was going to make myself better for myself and not care what other people want for me.

With my hockey career I was always the type to be super shy when I was younger and I only really had a few friends or even one friend, but recently I have opened myself up and tried to be friends with everyone on my hockey teams that I have been on. Doing this made me build my character to what it is today and make better friends and make my friend group a lot bigger than what it was. Hockey was my passion and nothing could ever stop me to pursue that passion. I never would have done this without the courage and hope to push me towards this goal of making new friends and being more open to others and even myself.
In my journals in courage and hope I reflect on how people have made an impact and on me to strive for whatever I want in life. My parents for example have been my biggest supporters like, when I wanted to go to Picture Butte High School for my last semester of high school, they were so supportive of what I wanted from it and where I wanted to graduate. I wanted to go to school in BC, but changed my mind to stay home for school and they were so supportive for both of those decisions. In the TED talk that I put in my blog the speakers says “write what you’re feeling, tell the truth, write like nobody's watching” I can relate to this a lot because I feel like in my earlier days in middle school, I felt like people were always judging and watching my every move, so that made me lie around things and not be truthful about who I really was. As time came in high school I came to realize that I don’t care what people have to say about me and started to tell the truth about who I really was and stopped caring about if someone was really watching my every move and did whatever it took to make myself happy and not others happy.



-Scott Oosterbroek

No comments:

Post a Comment