Tuesday 22 January 2019

Even if Fear Consumes You, You Don't Have to Overcome it to Help Others

When I was younger I was not the bravest kid, I never had much courage and I was never really the type of person to help people who were in danger because I was too scared to do anything about it. One time when I was a kid I used to live in a townhouse area and behind the townhouses there was this railway there and behind the railway was this little forest. After school or late evening kids would go in to the little forest and that was where everyone played hide and seek or just went there to get away from things. There were always people there and everyone who was there was always friendly and helpful to one another, but one evening me and some friends went to hang out there and everything was well. We were all playing, laughing, and having a fun times like friends do, but as it got later some of them had to leave and go home. Slowly no one was there but one of my friends and myself because all of my other friends had already left to go home. No one stayed this late because when people stayed late they would always end up going home injured or sometimes kids would even go missing; we knew it was not a good idea to stay there very late. Nevertheless, my friend and I decided to stay a little longer, but as we were going to leave we started hearing footsteps in the bushes, so we got a little creeped out and scared. We started to walk faster, but the faster we started to get the faster the footsteps followed. At this point we got so scared that we thought it was a good idea to start running, but as soon as we started to run we realized that we were being chased by this big dog that looked like it was hungry and rabid. The dog was still a good distance away from us so we knew if we ran fast enough that we could get away from it, but as we were running away from the dog my friend's foot got caught on this root that was sticking out of the ground and he ended up tripping over it and spraining his ankle. At this moment I was so scared that I didn’t really know what to do, so I continued to run away instead of helping him out. I saw the way out so I thought to myself that if I kept running I could get away safely, but then I felt a surge of guilt go through me. Normally I’m not one who is brave enough to go and help people because I’m just too scared to even try to help them, but this friend was someone who was really close to me and after feeling the guilt of almost leaving him behind I knew that I couldn’t just sit there and not help him because he had helped me through so much. I ended up running faster then before just to have time to help lift him up on my back and run with him out of there. We managed to get out of the forest, but we noticed that the dog was nowhere in sight even after peeking in to see if he was there. The dog had just disappeared, and we never knew what happened to the dog and we never did end up going back to the forest again. My friend ended up being okay, but he just had to walk around with a cast for a while. This was the first time that I ever had the courage to get up and go help someone who was in need of it, after that day I have tried my best to help people in any way I can even if it’s something small.

-Stephen Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment