Monday 21 January 2019

The List Goes On...

I was born in Abbotsford BC along with my twin sister Alyssa. Our father left before we were born, but we had an amazing step dad fill that emotional gap. We moved to Chilliwack BC, only 30 minutes away from where we were born, so my parents could find better jobs, and they did. My mother had 3 more kids. The 3rd child was 3 years apart from Alyssa and I, the 4th was 4 years apart, and the 5th was 6 years apart.


We grew up in Chilliwack. Alyssa and I attended Vedder Elementary and Tyson Elementary. My 3 other siblings only went to Tyson Elementary. We all grew up with amazing/sad memories, countless friends and loving animals. Every time my family would go on trips to our favorite resort, Kimberley BC, we would always listen to Linkin Park because it was our favorite family song, it explained us. My favourite memory one was a time 7 years ago. It was a rainy Saturday night and my father went to work his night shift. Before he left, he was standing in front of the front door going through his phone when my little brother Conner started running down the stairs, he wanted to give our father a hug before he left, as he was working 12 hours. As he was running down the last step he turned wrong and... well you know the rest. He ended up slicing his knee directly open. An irrevocable memory, I won’t go into depth. It was a long night in the hospital and that’s all I have to say for that gruesome experience.


2011, our family packed our stuff and moved to Lethbridge, AB. We decided to move because my parents were laid off because it was hard for them to make it on time for work. It was hard finding a babysitter to babysit 5 kids, especially since we were all under the age of 10. That being said, moving to Lethbridge was a rough situation I had to accept. Leaving all our broken and loving memories was difficult. The first year I had sleep paralysis almost every night, it happens to me every time we move to a new home. The next 2 following years was difficult, but not too hard for me to handle...but I still fell through the cracks of intelligence and ended up in K&E for 3 years until grade 9. It wasn’t hard, and that bothered me. I knew if it was easy for me than it would be nothing to others, but that wasn’t the only emotional trauma I went through. On June 11th, 2016. My best friend passed away. I was working when the principle and my teacher came into my work. They told me it was best if they explain what was going on in private. I left my shift early and got into the car with them and they told me what happened the night before - she was run over. She had slept underneath a truck because a man had been following her the whole time she was walking home and she was too scared to go any further, fearing he was already there, so she stayed under a truck. The man who owned the truck was going to work that early morning and she was still under the truck, not knowing what was coming next. I don’t want to go into description because I’m still emotionally traumatized to this day, but you should already understand what happened. All I will say is, I had to see a counselor the rest of that year.


It was summer going into grade 10 and I decided to switch schools. I attended Catholic Central High, and the first year went pretty smooth other than my emotions, but they later became jubilant, in which case I took my emotions by hand and became querulous until I felt nothing but happiness and sang that entire night. I got pretty high grades for going into full mainstream 3 hours a class. The following year was the same and for grade 12… well let’s just say that’s present.


Throughout the years I’ve lived I've experienced hate and anger, wealth and poverty, but I wouldn’t trade this life for anyone’s. You may not realize it when you’re little, but you will realize eventually that our parents are the most important people in our lives. They gave up their years to build us instead of themselves. They sacrificed everything for us. They love and put us before themselves. My life is full of crazy emotions. The list goes on, and I would live through it everyday if it meant my family were by my side.
Kimberly, British Columbia ( Our vacation resort )

( This link contrasts with my story because going on family trips it would bring peace to our mind when we listened to it. It is our symbol of reassurance that we are in not just good hands, but God's hands )

-Julia Komm

No comments:

Post a Comment