Tuesday 1 November 2016

Career Choices


When I was a little boy, I've wanted to be an aircraft pilot because I had a passion for airplanes. From the fighter jets to the passenger airlines, to me they were the coolest thing ever. Though my parents told me that I have to work hard in school to be a mechanic, back then I thought I had it, I thought that I was going to be an actual pilot. But, as the years go by my marks started going down slowly, to where I started struggling in class. Struggling to pass math was the biggest challenge, and it still is because I'm not good at mathematics, I never was.

In grade 9, a speaker came to class talking about apprenticeships all those post secondary related things. He talked about how I can get an apprenticeship as a mechanic, and I thought to myself, "would a mechanic be something that I'd like to be for the rest of my life?" I looked into it further, and took the classes that I needed to be one.  It turns out that I only needed a couple of classes and I was set for the academic portion of it. I got hooked into the job because I started appreciating cars more.  I appreciated how little things that need fixing can do so much and how little damages can impact a car's performance. I was determined to be a mechanic and I've come a long way on that path and I don't intend to stop, although several times my mother would tell me that there are other jobs than that and they pay more, but I want to enjoy what I do, not work at a place where I'm thinking of quitting every time I'm there.

-By Stefano Badilla

No comments:

Post a Comment