Saturday 13 June 2015

Diamond In the Rocks

There was a time in my life when I was alone. My parents were recently divorced and I had a boyfriend who didn’t care about me. He liked me because I was pretty, thin and vulnerable. I had a very low self-esteem and he took advantage of me, in so many different ways. At first he treated me amazing, he made me feel pretty and smart, and I felt like I was on the top of the world. I felt good. The depression that had once consumed me left and I thought I was better. The feeling lasted for a little less than a month and then it all came back. Slowly, the darkness took over again. I wanted to be alone all the time, it made me feel safe. When I closed myself off he became very aggressive. He didn’t understand what I was going through. He became verbally and mentally abusive. I blamed myself for a very long time. I know now, that it was the depression talking. I let it slide for a long time; I pretended everything was okay. When I did have the support from my friends, and I tried to break it off, he told me he would kill himself.  I couldn’t be responsible for someone’s death. I still cared about his well being and that slowly became my biggest worry. I owed him for helping me. I didn’t realize that what we had was unhealthy. I had fallen so deep into my depression that I gave up everything; my art, my friends, and my relationship were holding on by a thread. I had lost myself.

In July 2012, I tried to end my life. I honestly thought I had no other choice. Life was so overwhelming. I spent two weeks in the pediatric ward at the Lethbridge Hospital, and I was on suicide watch for most of it -Two full week without any communication from the outside world, it was rough. I did learn a lot about myself though. I found out that I deserved better. I let people walk all over me, because I longed to be accepted. I found out that I am diamond and I wouldn’t, couldn’t settle for anyone who treated me like I was anything less. Because of my experiences, I’ve found someone who helped me through my depression, and will stand next to me tall and proud. I found the courage in myself to keep moving forward.

-By Abigail Schaaf



No comments:

Post a Comment