Thursday 12 June 2014

I’m going to talk about how being a female in society takes so much courage. Being a girl growing up is tough as it is. It takes courage to be a girl; we have had rights taken away from us, we are looked down on compared to men, and we live in minor fear of men. Woman and men compete in the work place all the time, woman are just as capable of doing whatever a man can do, yet in some situations men are paid more than a woman that’s doing the same job as that a man is doing. Growing up I have always been told to watch my drinks when I go out anywhere because I might get drugged, and taken advantage of.   I’m told to not walk home alone if it’s dark because I might get kidnapped or raped.   Even at school we have these same problems, girls aren’t allowed to have their shoulders showing because it distracts the boys? I find this completely unfair and stupid, instead of telling guys to not rape and not drug us, woman get told how to dress and to watch our drinks. It takes so much courage to be a woman. Being a woman is powerful and something that we should be proud of. We shouldn’t feel ashamed by how we dress or what we do. We shouldn’t have to fear being raped and be told it’s because of how we dressed or that we might provoke someone. I have hope for the future that this will change.  It’s changing and yes it’s getting better from what it was, but we still have a long way to go, considering people have an easier time believing a shark attack rather than a woman being assaulted.

-Katie Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment