Sunday 8 June 2014

Courage & Hope

Courage ­- the ability to do something that frightens one.

The thing that gives me courage and hope in my life is my parents. My mom Tinka and my dad Mijo. They have done so much for me and my two older sisters. They moved here from Croatia 18 years ago while the war was still going on over there, and had to live in a refugee camp for sometime. They had to leave their home, friends, and family. They came to Canada not knowing the language or anything for a matter for fact. When they came to Canada my oldest sister Dajana was only 3 years old. Coming to a new place with a little baby girl was probably really scary for them, but they stayed strong.

After moving here only a couple months later my other sister Marija was born. It gave them hope that everything would be alright, the courage to stay strong for us. Later on, the rest of our family came here as well. My dad went to school to learn how to read and write, and my mom stayed at home with us. Both my parents got jobs at a bingo hall as cleaner, later on, they found better jobs. My mom worked as a cook at Lugies with my grandma and my dad worked a maple leaf as a meat cutter and had another job as well. Around that time is when I got really sick, they had to show their courage because they had to for me and my sisters.

I have asked my parents before if they would like to move back there. They say no, they know the life style that goes on there and how it would be. They want us to go to Croatia one day and see the beauty of the place where they grow up. The house that my parents and older sister Dajana lived in is still there, but in pieces. The foundation of the home still exists, but the rest of it is destroyed. My parents lost family and friends during that war but stayed strong through it all.

Now both my parents work at Costco and we live in a house that we have for 11 years. Even though we might have not had the greatest life style at first we always made the best out of it. I had a good childhood and I’m thankful to my parents for that. My parents have shown so much hope and courage through the years. From the war to the refugee camp, to moving here and rising me and my sisters. I look up to my parent and how strong they are. So much has happened and yet they still have that courage and hope within them.
-Snjezana Kristic

No comments:

Post a Comment